Congratulations to the makers of the short film “Draw”, which has won Best VFX at the 1st Monthly Film Festival.
“Draw” was completed as part of the third year animation Module PR6001, a Studio VFX Project worth 60 Credits, in which animators and visual effects artists collaborate to produce a short film.
|A scene from “Draw”|
Draw isa short film about a game of chess, in which two kings do battle for mastery of the chessboard.
Working with a team of ten students from both the VFX and animation departments, this collaborative short was filmed on location in London, with animation and VFX all completed at Escape Studios. The live action plates were scanned and tracked, and were completed with digital animation in Maya, composited and rendered in Arnold.
Director & Producer
Director Martin Kamminga is an Escapee who studied the Art of Visual Effects at Escape Studios. Draw was his first film. Draw was produced by Conway Dobbs, studying the Art of Computer Animation, and the lead animator was Maciej Osuch – who in 2019 directed the award-winning short Golden Acorn. The 3D VFX Lead was Jake Newton and the 2D VFX Lead was Christopher Fernandes.
- Martin Kamminga – Director, 3D VFX
- Conway Dobbs – Producer, animator
- Maciej Osuch – Head of Animation
- Clement Gharini – Director of Photography
- Jake Newton – 3D VFX Lead
- Christopher Fernandes – 2D VFX Lead
- Malvina Hedenberg – Animator
- William Lum – 3D VFX
- Marlon Neshava – 3D VFX
The VFX project “Draw” was overseen by our 3rd year tutors:
- Davi Stein, Head of 2D at Escape Studios
- Michael Davies, Animation Tutor and UG program leader
- Jonathan McFall, 3rd year VFX Tutor and UG program leader
Festival Awards for “Draw”
|Best Director at the Hell Chess Festival 2020|
“Draw” has won many festival awards:
- Best VFX at the 1st Monthly Film Festival
- Best VFX at the Future of Film Awards
- Best Animation at Kenya Sports Film Fest
- Best VFX at the London International Film Festival (LIMFF)
- Best Director at the Hell Chess Festival
- “Winners Award” at the Arte Non Stop Film Festival in Buenos Aires
- “Best Micro Film” at the Golden Nugget Film Fest in London
- “Best Fight Choreography” at the Flicks Film Festival
- “Highest Commendation” at the London Seasonal Short Film Festival in May
- “Four Stars Award” at the British International Amateur Film Festival.
Draw at IMDBYou can find Draw at the IMDB here.
The Escape Studios VFX Blog offers a personal view on the art of visual effects.