Congratulations to the makers of the short VFX film “iCare“, which has won the award for “Best Debut Director” at the Makizhmithran International Film Festival.
iCare | Student Short Film – Escape Studios from Bruno Urzì on Vimeo.
“iCare” is one of the latest short VFX films created by our third year animation and vfx students at Escape Studios. Directed by Bruno Urzi and produced by Alex Sellen, iCare was a collaboration between undergraduate animation and vfx students, working together to create an original story. Studio projects such as this one are part of what we call The Escape Method – bringing together students with multiple talents to work in teams and produce an industry-quality outcome.
iCare tells the story of a care robot who looks after an elderly woman, played by Sara Wilson-Soppitt. The short was directed by Bruno Urzi and produced by Alex Sellen.
iCare was animated in Autodesk Maya, rendered in Arnold, and edited in DaVinci Resolve. Meshroom was used for for photogrammetry.
- Sara Wilson-Soppitt – Lonely Lady
- Bruno Urzi – Director, Assistant Producer, 2D Compositor, VFX Editor
- Alex Sellen – Producer, Assistant Director
- Wiktor Brodowski – Lead Animator
- Jane Williams – 2D Lead
- Matdawna Jn Philip – Rigger, Animator, Concept Art
- Sebastian Petre – Rigger
- Noemie Lafrontiere – Animator
- Jessa Timog-Santiago – Animator
- Andy Ramlika – Compositor
- Jake Roberts – 3D Lead
- Gino Demurtas – 3D Modeling, Scanning Lead
- Owen Manley – 3D Modeling
- Clement Gharini – Cinematography
- Lorenzo Pelli – Original Score
- Marco Giannini – Sound Design
iCare was overseen by four tutors at Escape Studios, offering expertise in 3D VFX, animation, and 2D Compositing.
Scene from iCare
Paul Harrison – Animation, Rigging
- Sokratis Synitos – 2D Compositing
- Steven Lall – Animation, general 3D skills
- Sagar Rathod – 3D Skills & Animation
|Concept art by Matdawna Jn Philip|
iCare has won many festival awards:
- Best Debut Director at the Makizhmithran International Film Festival
- Best SciFi at the International Gold Awards.
- Best Animated Short at the Golden Nugget Film Festival.
- Best Editing at the Helsinki Awards Film Festival
- Silver Award for Best Student Film at the Milan Gold Awards
- Best Student Filmmaker at the EEFF
- Best Student Film at the 8 1/2 Film Awards
- Best First-Time Director at the Future of Film Festival
- Honourable Mention in the category of “Best Director – Short Film” at the Art Film Awards
The Escape Studios VFX Blog offers a personal view on the art of visual effects.