|Alma wins Best Sci-Fi at Future of Film Festival|
Congratulations to the makers of “Alma”, which has won Best Sci-Fi at The Future of Film Fest.
“Alma”, is the first fully motion capture CG short film created at Escape Studios. It was directed by Rola Hafez, produced by Emmanouil “Manos” Zervoudakis, and overseen by animation tutor Amedeo Beretta.
Alma has won many festival awards.
You can watch Alma at below:
MA in 3D Animation
Alma was completed by students on our MA in 3D Animation, collaborating with VFX students and also some of our undergraduate animation students.
The MoCap performance was recorded at Escape Studios on a Xsens Awinda MoCap suit, supplied by Escape Studios’ tutor and cinematographer Clement Gharini. “Alma” was completed as part of our MA Animation, in which students must deliver a personal project, which can be done individually or as part of a team.
|XSENS MoCap Suit in action|
“Alma” pulled together 3D and Animation students to deliver a short movie as a team project, using Motion Capture to facilitate the animation.
Thanks to the MoCap pipeline the team was able to record all the takes for the short movie in just one day.
|Jake Lee – MoCap Performance|
Jake Lee, one of our animation Short Course students, wore the MoCap suit and acted out the scenes, while Edoardo Sartori and Karla Rojas, year 3 animation students, helped with managing the software.
Some scenes in the film are full MoCap, some are a blend between MoCap and keyframe animation, and some are fully key framed animation.
Rendering was carried out in Redshift and most renders were delivered through CGRU (https://cgru.readthedocs.io/en/latest/#), an open source renderfarm software.
Compositing was completed in Nuke. Modelling was carried out in Maya and Blender, texturing was done in Substance Painter. Rigging was based on the Advanced Skeleton add-on, with bespoke parts added as needed.
Still frame from “Alma”
- Francesco Cordari – Writer, Co-Director, Colour Scripts, Supervising TD, Character Artist
- Alexandra Megerdichian – Writer, Co-Director, Lighting & Rendering
- Emmanouil Zervoudakis – Producer
- Austin Hill – Storyboards & Cinematography
- Paloma Zhu – Concept Art
- Mihail Sustov – Sound Design & Foley
- Maria Cortes-Monroy – Original Score
- Alice McCall – Motion Graphics
- Jessica Elias Lopez – Colour Scripts
- Paolo Amadini – Assistant TD, Animator
- Jake Lee – MoCap Actor, Animator
- Samantha Maiolo – Animator
- Federico Bonato – Compositing
- Amedeo Beretta – Executive Producer, Animation Director
- Edoardo Sartori – MoCap retargeting
|“Best Animation” at Flicks Fest|
- Best Sci-Fi at The Future of Film Fest
- “Five Stars” Award at The British International Animation Film Festival (BIAFF)
- Best Production Design (Hon Mention) at the Tokyo Film Fest
- “Best No Budget” Film at the Dreamer’s Short Film Festival (DSFF).
- Best Short Film for Youth (15-18 yrs) at the Kinodiseea International Children Film Festival.
- Best Animated Film at the Anmtn! Film Festival.
- Best Cinematography at the Halicarnassus Film Fest
- Best Sci-Fi at Art Film Fest
- Hon Mention at International Video Funfest in Madeira
- Best Animation at the Flicks Film Festival
- Honourable Mention in the category of Best VFX at the Athens International Film Festival
Alma at IMDB
You can find “Alma” listed at the IMDB here.
Alma Progression Reel
To see the Alma progression reel, watch the two minute video below.
The Escape Studios Animation Blog offers a personal view on the art of animation and visual effects. To apply for our BA/MArt in 3D Animation, follow this link. To apply for our storyboarding evening class, visit this page here. For the next 12 week animation course, click here.