Our 18 week evening class in Character Creation returns to Escape Studios on 7 March 2023.
This evening course teaches students how to design and create their own character designs, and bring them to life. Over 18 weeks you will design, model, texture, rig and animate your own character.
The Character Creation course is taught by industry veteran Jonathan McFall.
Character and Creature Creation
|Gorilla by Michael Davies|
The Character Creation course is all about creating original and unique characters from scratch. You will explore different design techniques, create 3D models using Maya and then paint and texture your character.
You will create a structure for your creation by rigging it (ie building a digital skeleton), texturing it, skinning it and – finally – breathing life into it through animation.
Character Creation Process
This course is designed for beginners, to take you through every stage of the process, though some experience of the fundamentals of Autodesk Maya will definitely help.
We will use automated processes within Maya (and related software) to simplify the workflow so that everyone is able to create their own character within 18 weeks.
Tutor – Jonathan McFall
The Character Creation evening course is taught by industry veteran Jonathan McFall, veteran of the Harry Potter series, Men in Black 3, and Immortals. You can see his IMDB page here, and also see his personal website here, along with samples of his work.
|Art by Jonathan McFall|
Character Creation evening class starts on 7 March 2023 and runs for 18 weeks from 7-10pm.
The course will be taught online.
Mode of study
This is a part time course, designed to fit around jobs and families.
- Week 1: Introduction to course – photo-bashing/concept art for characters
- Week 2: Introduction to ZBrush – sculpting/basics – how to use brushes, interface
- Week 3: Sculpting in ZBrush – dragon head
- Week 4: Blocking out a character’s pose – using Zspheres
- Week 5: Rigging a character for posing in ZBrush
- Week 6: Sculpting cloth, cloths, hair, fur
- Week 7: Hard surface sculpting in ZBrush – making an armour
- Week 8: Hard surface sculpting continues – making assets and an armour
- Week 9: Introduction to Maya – modelling basics
- Week 10: Maya modelling continued – modelling assets for characters, import assets to ZBrush
- Week 11: Blend shapes for facial expression
- Week 12: UVs – exporting models and maps from Zbrush, UVing in ZBrush, Zremesher, Retopo in Maya
- Week 13: Making high and low poly in ZBrush continued – importing and baking in Substance Painter
- Week 14: Introduction to Substance Painter and texturing painting
- Week 15: Procedural texturing
- Week 16: Projection mapping for characters
- Weeks 17 & 18: Finalise projects
|Sculpt by Sarah Sanchez|
Applicants should be aged 18 or over, with a good understanding of written and spoken English. Some familiarity with the basics of Autodesk Maya will be a plus.
The Escape Studios Animation Blog offers a personal view on the art of animation and visual effects. To apply for our BA/MArt in 3D Animation, follow this link. To apply for our storyboarding evening class, visit this page here. For the next 12 week animation course, click here.