Many congratulations to makers of the VFX short film “Papercut“, which has won “Best Creative” at the Halicarnassus Film Festival.
Directed by Giorgos Konstantinou and produced by Victoria Arraez, Papercut was a collaboration between 3rd year undergraduate animation and vfx students, working together to create an original short.
This is the latest festival award for Papercut.
Papercut at YouTube
Papercut is a short story about two paper figurines that come to life.
Directed by Giorgos Konstantinou and produced by Victoria Arraez, Papercut was a collaboration between undergraduate animation and vfx students, working together to create an original story as part of the 3rd year VFX Project. Studio projects such as this one are part of what we call The Escape Method – bringing together students with multiple talents to work in teams and produce an industry-quality outcome.
Live Action Shoot
The live action shoot, filmed by our in-house DOP Clement Gharini, took place at London Fine Art Studio in Battersea.
Papercut was animated in Maya, edited in Premiere, and rendered in Arnold. Compositing was completed in Nuke.
You can watch Papercut below:
- Giorgos Konstantinou – Director, Animator
“Papercut“: Best Micro Short at International Gold Awards
- Victoria Arraez – Producer, 2D Comp
- Anthony Sarmiento – Animation Lead, Previs Artist, Sound Design, Editor
- Ellen Hughes – Art Director, Concept Art, Animator
- Muhaddissa Hasham – VFX Supervisor, 2D Comp
- Fiorella Bechtle – 2D Lead.3D Modeller, Sounds Design
- Enrico Vaccari – Technical Director, Modeller, Look Dev, Texturing
- Lorenzo Pelli – Original Music
- Clement Gharini – Cinematography
- Amy Husted – Storyboards, Animator, Rigging
- Llewelyn Whitney – Animator
- Ethan Smith – Modeller, Rigging
- Paul Harrison – Rigging
- Harry Dallimore – Sound Design, Texturing, Modelling
- Meah Materego-Wardeck – Lighting Artist, Animator
Escape Studios Supervising Tutors
Papercut was overseen by a number of tutors at Escape Studios, offering expertise in 3D VFX, animation, and 2D Compositing.
- Paul Harrison – Animation, Rigging
- Sokratis Synitos – 2D Compositing
- Steven Lall – Animation, general 3D skills
- Sagar Rathod – 3D Skills & Animation
Escape Studios is grateful for the excellent and generous feedback from our industry partners ILM: including Juani Guiraldes, Steven Godfrey, and Davi Stein.
You can find Papercut at the IMDB.
Papercut at YouTube
Papercut has won many festival awards:
- Best Creative at the Halicarnassus Film Festival.
- Best VFX at the Art Film Awards
- Best Micro Short at the International Gold Awards
- Best Micro Short at the Vesuvius Film Festival
The Escape Studios VFX Blog offers a personal view on the art of visual effects.