Congratulations to the makers of Russell, the short VFX film created by students at Escape Studios, which has won Best VFX at the Athens International Film Festival.
Russell tells the story of a curious hedgehog who dreams of flight.
|Making of “Russell”|
Russell was written by Scott Middleton and Liam Martin, directed by Scott Middleton and produced by Gary Roche. Russell tells the story of a curious hedgehog who dreams of taking to the skies. Russell is currently being entered into film festivals.
Russell was created as part of PR6001, a Studio Module in which animation and VFX students join forces to create a VFX project over 12 weeks. The film was overseen by Escape Studios’ tutors Paul Harrison, Allar Kaasik and Mark Spevick.
- Scott Middleton – Writer & Director, 3D Artist
- Gary Roche – Producer
- Liam Martin – Writer, Lead Animator
- Lorenzo Pelli – Original Score
- Clement Gharini – Director of Photographer
- Toby Haslam – Art Director
- Koren Morgan – Editor, 2D Lead
- Ridma Suriyagoda – 3D Lead
- Miriam Di Benedetto – Animator
- Louis Chevis – Animator
- Eliezer Girma – Animator
- Shauna Ludgate – Animator
- Aroosa Qureshi – Animator
- Flynn Smith – Animator
- Victor Fiuk – 3D Artist
- Thomas Grantley – 3D Artist
- Miranda Kay – 2D Artist
This is the latest of many festival awards for Russell:
- Best VFX in Athens Film Fest
- Best VFX at the Eastern Europe Film Festival
- Best VFX at the Onyko International Film Festival
- Best Student Film at the DSFF
- Best VFX at the London International Monthly Film Festival
- Best VFX at the Art Film Awards
- “Best Super Short” at the UK Monthly Film Festival
The Escape Studios Animation Blog offers a personal view on the art of animation and visual effects. To apply for our BA/MArt in 3D Animation, follow this link. To apply for our storyboarding evening class, visit this page here. For the next 12 week animation course, click here.